[PR] The Pakistani Academy Selection Committee invites Pakistani filmmakers to submit their films for consideration by the August 25th 2013.
The committee is chaired by Emmy and Academy award winning documentary filmmaker Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy and includes Mehreen Jabbar (veteran of the industry, with a prolific career as Director/Producer of gritty, hard-hitting films for Pakistani Television), Mohsin Hamid (author of the novels Moth Smoke, The Reluctant Fundamentalist, and How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia), Rahat Kazmi (Pakistani actor, talk-show anchor, professional speaker and academician), Akifa Mian (writer, director and assistant professor of Film at Beaconhouse National University), Framji Minwalla (professor at IBA whose research and teaching interests include Performance history, visual and cultural studies, film studies, media and communications and all forms of theory) and Samina Peerzada (film actress and director who has appeared in numerous films and television serials). Pakistan has submitted 2 films to the Academy since its inception, with the last submission dating back to 1963.
The committee will choose one film as Pakistan’s official submission for the, ‘Foreign Language Film Award.’ A foreign language film is defined as a feature-length motion picture produced outside the United States of America with a predominantly non-English dialogue track.
The criteria for eligibility is as follows:
- The motion picture must be first released in the country of submission no earlier than October 1st 2012 and no later than September 30th 2013.
- The film must be publicly exhibited for seven consecutive days in a commercial motion picture theatre for the profit of the producer and exhibitor.
- The picture must be advertised and exploited during its eligibility run in a manner considered normal and customary to the
- industry. The picture need not have been released in the United States.
- No type of television or Internet transmission may occur at any time prior to the motion picture’s theatrical release.
- The recording of the original dialogue track as well as the completed picture must be predominantly in a language or languages other than English. Accurate English-language subtitles are required.
- The film must be feature-length, defined as a minimum of 40 minutes, except for short subject awards, and it must exist either on a 35 mm or 70 mm film print or in 24 frame/s or 48 frame/s progressive scan digital cinema format with native resolution no less than 1280×720.
For further details email at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Academy Awards, now officially known as The Oscars, are a set of awards given annually for excellence in cinematic achievements. The Oscar statuette is officially named the Academy Award of Merit and is one of nine types of Academy Awards. Organized and are overseen by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS).