نازیہ حسن melodious, musical, euphonious who made Pakistan feel pride on its made is a name nearly unforgettable to the music industry of Pakistan. “Aap Jaisa Koi”, “Disco Deewane”, “Dosti” were few of her many hits. “Pop Queen” is admired, love and appraises still today. Read below 20 thing’s you don’t already know about her.
1. Nazia Hassan‘s first album was Disco Deewane which was a hit in 14 countries in 1981. At that time, Disco Deewane was the best-selling album of Asian Pop Genre. It was a great hit in Russia, Latin America, West-Indies, India, and Pakistan.
2. Nazia and Zohaib’s duo was one of the most successful duos of that time, they sold over 60 million records all over the world.
3. She was the youngest and first Pakistani ever to win a Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer. She received this award when she was 15 years old.
4. She started her singing career in late 70’s.
5. Nazia got married to Mirza Ishtiaq Baig on 30th March, 1997.
6. She and Mirza Ishtiaq Baig were blessed with a baby boy on 7 April, 1998. Her son’s name is Arez.
7. She had done commercials for several popular companies like Lipton (1990-1992) and Sitara Sapna Lawn.
8. Nazia’s height was 5 foot 6 inches, which is approximately 1.68 meters.
9. Her star sign was Aries.
10. She had appeared on several PTV shows as a child artist. She appeared in famous music programs like “Sang Sang Chalein and Kaliyon ki Mala”.
11. She was spotted by Indian music composer Biddu in a party in London, 1980. Later on, he suggested her voice to Feroz Khan who took Nazia as a playback singer for his movie Qurbani.
12. By profession, Nazia was a barrister.
13. She did her LLB from London University.
14. Nazia liked to work as a social worker, she gave her services to United Nations, Department of Political and Security Council Affairs and UNICEF.
15. Nazia was compared with Lady Diana at that that time globally.
16. She spent all the money she earned through music on charity.
17. “Made in India” which was originally sung by Alisha Chinai was actually written for Nazia Hassan. The song is considered as a great contribution in Indian pop music.
18. Nazia’s grandfather was the President of Muslim League, Delhi. He was one of the owners of first Ginning Mill in Multan.
19. Nazia Hassan died because of lung cancer at the age of 35. She died in London on 13 Aug, 2000.
20. For Nazia’s great achievements and contributions, Government of Pakistan presented Nadia “Pride of Performance” award which is considered as the highest civil award of Pakistan. The award was handed over to Nazia’s mother “Muniza Basir” by Pervez Musharraf on 23rd March, 2002.
* Nazia’s Marriage was an arranged one.
* According to Zoheb Hassan in an Interview with Bushra Ansari, Nazia took 14-15 chemotherapies against her disease.